Shopify is a great platform for e-commerce, but it does have some SEO concerns that store owners need to be aware of. Here are some of the biggest SEO concerns with Shopify:
- Duplicate content: Shopify automatically generates duplicate content for product pages and collection pages. This can hurt your SEO rankings because search engines don't know which page to index. You can fix this by using canonical tags to tell search engines which page is the original.
- Poor URL structure: Shopify's default URL structure is not ideal for SEO. It includes parameters and query strings that can make it difficult for search engines to understand your website's structure. You can improve your URL structure by using a custom domain name and by removing parameters and query strings from your URLs.
- No custom robots.txt file: Shopify does not allow you to create a custom robots.txt file. This can be a problem if you want to control which pages are indexed by search engines. You can work around this by using a robots.txt generator app.
- Limited page title and meta description length: Shopify limits the length of page titles and meta descriptions to 70 characters. This can make it difficult to include all of the important keywords in your titles and descriptions. You can work around this by using a plugin to extend the character limit.
- Inability to edit tag pages: Shopify does not allow you to edit tag pages. This can be a problem if you want to add custom content to your tag pages. You can work around this by using a plugin to edit tag pages.
These are just some of the biggest SEO concerns with Shopify. If you're serious about SEO, it's important to be aware of these issues and to take steps to address them. By following these tips, you can improve your Shopify store's SEO and attract more organic traffic.
Here are some additional tips for improving the SEO of your Shopify store:
- Use relevant keywords throughout your website's content, including product descriptions, blog posts, and category pages.
- Create a sitemap and submit it to Google Search Console.
- Get backlinks from other high-quality websites.
- Optimize your images for SEO by adding alt text and titles.
- Keep your website up-to-date with fresh content.
- Monitor your SEO performance and make adjustments as needed.
By following these tips, you can improve the SEO of your Shopify store and attract more organic traffic.